Samburu National Reserve is one of the lesser-known national parks in Kenya but is teeming with life. Situated alongside the Ewaso Ng'iro River, there is plenty to attract wildlife from the surrounding savannah plains. On the other side of the river is the Buffalo Springs National Reserve. The park is 165 km2 in size and is situated 350 kilometers from Nairobi.
|DEPARTURE TIME||07:30 AM|
|Return TIme||17:00 PM|
|Dress Code||Casual. comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, warm jacket.|
Package Cost includes
- Rates are based on per person sharing on full board and is subject to change at the time of booking.
- Accommodation for 4 nights.
- Transport in a safari minivan with a pop-up roof for game viewing.
- Service of an English-speaking professional driver/guide.
- All game drives as detailed in the itinerary.
Package Cost excludes
- All park/game reserve fees and government taxes.
- Activities like Masai village visit, trekking, bird watching etc.
- International and local Flights.
- Tips and gratuities to driver/guide, hotel/camp and restaurant staff, room service.
- Items of a personal nature i.e. laundry, phone calls and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, etc.
- Change in itinerary.
- Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary.
Day 1: Nairobi - Tree Hotel
- Drive from Nairobi in the early morning, past the coffee plantations and into the rich green town of Nyeri, before arriving at your "Tree Hotel" of choice. Set high above natural salt licks and illuminated waterholes, relax under the stars and enjoy viewing the forest animals right from the comfort of your lodge's terrace.
Day 2: Tree Hotel - Samburu Game Reserve
- After breakfast, continue your journey north across the equator, gently descending into the arid, desert-like setting of Kenya's Northern Frontier District, travelling on to your lodge in Samburu Game Reserve.
- After lunch, enjoy a thrilling afternoon off the beaten track, following prowling predators, and witnessing some of Kenya's mos rare wildlife species including the blue-necked Ostrich, reticulated Giraffe and Gravy's Zebra. Unwind from a day of excitement with cocktails, dinner, and an overnight stay.
Day 3: Samburu Game Reserve
- Samburu offers a magical, tucked-away romantic destination where you can spend time tracking Samburu's Big Five and rare wildlife through the reserveâ€™s meandering rivers and forests.
- Return to your lodge as the sun settles over Samburu for sundowners, dinner & overnight stay.
- Optional Activities: Bird walks, Cultural visits and dance and camel rides.
Day 4: Samburu Game Reserve - Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- After one more morning spent out in Samburu's wilderness, continue your journey onwards to Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Sweetwaters Tented Camp, arriving in time for lunch. After lunch you will visit the Chimpanzee Sanctuary, a charming haven established by the Jane Goodall Institute to provide sanctuary to orphaned chimps, and the specially protected and fenced refuge of black rhino with its stunning forty specimens. Thereafter, enjoy an afternoon game drive.
- Return to the lodge at sunset for dinner & overnight stay.
Day 5: Ol Pejeta - Nairobi
- After one last morning game drive, return to the lodge for breakfast. After which you will check out and begin your journey back to Nairobi, arriving into the city in the early afternoon.
- One of Kenya's smallest, but richest, wildlife national parks.
- Visits to local Samburu tribal villages.
- Home to the big cats; lion, leopard and cheetah
- Healthy breeding packs of endangered African wild dog
- Likely to see rare northern species, including "Samburu Special Five" reticulated giraffe, the Somali ostrich, the gerenuk, the Beisa oryx and the Gravy's zebra.
- Birding hotspot with over 450 species recorded.
- The river Ewaso Ng'iro is the heart of the park and contrasts against the dry and arid desert-like soil that shines bright red under the African sun.